For all of you moms on the go with limited time, who don’t want to feed their kids something out of a box that involves powdered cheese, this one is for you! It’s quick and easy, it encompasses all of the major food groups, is filling and kid-friendly, and is a great way to use up your leftovers. You can substitute any veggies you like (or that your kids will eat!) Bon appétit!
The Modern Mac And Cheese
3 cups of whole wheat penne (you can substitute your favourite pasta, but fatter noodles work best)
1 cup of chicken, cubed (or whatever you have left over in your fridge. You can substitute sausage or ham, as well)
1/2 cup of mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup of red pepper, diced or sliced
3 tbsp. pesto sauce (store-bought works great)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup to 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (put in as much as you like!)
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta to the pot and reduce heat, boiling on medium-high for 7 to 9 minutes, or until pasta reaches desired tenderness.
- Strain pasta and drain all water from the pot; return pasta to pot, but do not return to burner.
- Add olive oil to the pot and mix pasta until coated.
- Add pesto sauce and stir until pasta is coated evenly and thoroughly.
- Return pot to medium-low heat and add chicken, mushrooms, and red pepper.
- Slowly add grated cheese while continuously stirring pasta. Continue stirring until cheese melts completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 4 – 6.